Sunday 26 February 2012

WEEK 8 - SONG 8 - Coffee & Ginger Nuts


WEEK 8 - SONG 8 - Coffee & Ginger Nuts

Coffee & Ginger Nuts


Walk with me, grey muddled day
As cafe crowds fade through the frosted windows


From the duffle coat out shoots a hand
A raised eyebrow at the command
Saved by the puddle that sets us apart again


Bus driver ­glaring at all in disdain


Inbred years of paranoia
Envy the loudest Casanova
It's not safe here
For the likes of you and me


Worn and weathered men spill into the streets
Through their judging eyes the weight of history
Soon pulls the smile from my face


Pick me up where I left off
You're laughing at the very thought... 
“There's a right way to be
There's a right way to be in this town”


Cross the busy road, find a quiet place


Shed these years of paranoia
Edge of seats, we sit and wait together
Coiled like cobras
So what if I kiss you right now?


So you think you can fix my life? 
You want to forget about yours? 
Always meddling in other people's lives
Why don't you just f-f-focus on your own?


The police, the shoppers and the gangsters
The kids, the hipsters and the pranksters
All stop and watch, united in their shock and disgust


I feel a lynching coming on
Round up the kids
We're gonna eat tonight


Run on home
Keep your head down
Lock your door
And have some coffee and ginger nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment