Tuesday 7 June 2011

07.06.11 - DAY 158 - I'll Tell You What It Is Mate



Listen (and/or buy) now on Bandcamp

I like the new Radiohead album, King of Limbs, in terms of production. To me, there are a couple of fairly obvious influences for that sound: Four Tet and Caribou. Still, it's a real pleasure to hear how Radiohead have pretty much stripped away all notions of a band in the traditional sense: There are few obvious instrument parts that play out through the songs, (with a couple of exceptions, such as Codex), instead the songs are a big mash up of off-kilter rhythms and layers of sampled bits and pieces. It can sound somewhat chaotic at times, yet there is rarely anything close to a cacophony. It's like a trick: Things sound messy and full, without becoming tiring. It's very organic and I love this approach, as I have always done with Four Tet and Caribou! Whether it's Radiohead's best collection of songs, is a different debate, but anyway, I thought I'd have a go at this particular 'messy-but-controlled' sample heavy type of arrangement.

Enjoy

Cheers ^_^

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No comments:

Post a Comment