Monday 11 July 2011

11.07.11 - DAY 192 - Is The Circus In Town?


Listen (and/or buy) now on Bandcamp

Michael Rhodes, an artist friend in New York, sent me the sketch above to use as some sort of inspiration for today's song. The word 'circus' got me thinking 'vaudeville' and I thought I'd attempt something along those lines. I've really never even listened to 'vaudeville' music before, so the instrumentation is guesswork from what I imagine might fit into this style. I've really enjoyed making this song though. It feels like completely new territory for me.

The theme of the song is reflecting on the fact that tonight is Eleventh night, which is celebrated throughout Northern Ireland. For some it's just a chance to get drunk and have a good time with friends. For others there are deeper historical reasons. And for others it's something of a pain in the ass. I tried to look at all this objectively and wrote some lyrics hinting at the tensions that are always here, this time of year. And then being somewhat philosophical (or maybe Zen?) about it all: What flags represent, what 'sides' we choose to be on... It's all a choice at the end of the day. So why not choose to just let it all go? Or choose to be whatever the hell you want, without letting dogma, politics and traditions mould you. But that's enough of my half-baked politics.

Enjoy

Cheers ^_^

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No comments:

Post a Comment