Monday 29 August 2011

29.08.11 - DAY 241 - Walk. Run. Wheel


Listen (and/or buy) now on Bandcamp

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I have borrowed the words for this piece of music from a poem in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Dissident-Voice-Poetry-Mike-Jenkins/dp/185411025X - A Dissident Voice: Poetry by Mike Jenkins (http://www.mikejenkins.net/). The poem I borrowed from is called Woman On Wheels. I've asked Mike for permission to use these words, but if he contacts me and says "NEVER!!!" then I shall have to remove this track and re-upload it without his words. I'll keep y'all posted with how that turns out.

Anyway. Right. Phew!

So for this piece I wanted to make something... oh I don't know... I guess 'abstract but composed'. In the sense that it's quite an experimental / avant garde piece, but it has a distinct structure and movements.

Today, I just couldn't get excited about making something with 'PHAT BEATS' in it. I was much more in the mood for exploring some new music territory, so I wrote down some ideas: Instruments, Field Recordings, Synth Tones, Percussion (hits and fills) and "Chimes". I wrote down a synopsis for a general arrangement of the sounds and I wrote a 'Goal' of the piece - what did I want to achieve with it?

On the other side of this page I wrote out a more detailed arrangement / overview / graphic score.

It was satisfying to create something conceptual like this. It's not often that I spew out the contents of my brain so accurately in my music, I usually only get so far before giving in. I feel the transitions work well (especially from the first movement into the more electronic 2nd movement). Part of this piece was exploring the diversity between acoustic sounds and electronic, seeing if they could mutate and morph into each other, somehow. Then of course there's also an element of improvisation in the live percussion, bass and guitar. The vocals used a visual representation of the wave forms of the bass and guitars as cues.

The field recordings were fun! I was able to get lots of great hits, cars driving by and a couple of airplanes flying over head, all within a few feet on my front door.

Enjoy

Cheers ^_^

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No comments:

Post a Comment